- Adam is the Director of BAE Systems’ technical innovation and sovereign capability growth centre, Red Ochre Labs. In this role, Adam is responsible for the development of world leading Australian defence capability focusing on autonomy, high speed weapons, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, electronic warfare and intelligent sustainment.
After commencing his career in the Australian Army and subsequently the private sector, Adam then joined BAE Systems Australia in 2009. For more than a decade he has led major domestic programs, global business development campaigns and realised export opportunities for Australian SMEs.
- Lee Houlson is a highly qualified and experienced Defence procurement, contracts and risk professional. She has over 20 years of leadership experience with Primes and SMEs across the defence, aviation, construction, resources, infrastructure industries. As a leader in her field, Lee was selected to represent Australia as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply on the Global Congress. Lee has held general manager and head of commercial and procurement roles in several defence primes. Currently at Lockheed Martin, she has responsibility for both the operational and functional aspects of contracts and sourcing, ensuring commercial capability is provided to meet business and program outcomes. Through a passion for building supplier relationships and developing capability, Lee has led significant Supplier Relationship Management and Indigenous Opportunity initiatives, including the defence industry's first indigenous Reconciliation Action Plan.
- Duncan has a blend of skills developed across finance, business development, operations and general management. His career has spanned over 25 years, of which almost 20 years have been spent in Aviation and Defence both in Australia and internationally.
An accountant by training, Duncan progressed to business development, running the Cobham Aviation International Strategy and Business function, before taking over as managing director for their Helicopter Services business, providing training and support services to the UK MoD and international defence clients . While most of his experience has been in Prime's, he has also worked in the small end of the SME industry to get an appreciation of the challenges they face but also the fantastic capability and specialist knowledge that they offer to the defence industry. Working for a professional services business providing business development support to SMEs looking to enter the Defence Market, also provided useful insight into the opportunities and frustrations this represents to industry.
Duncan also worked with the DTC in 2020 to bring together a number of SA SMEs to discuss collaboration opportunities in the EW Space. He is also involved with The Research Nexus, as a founding member of Team Nexus, which has developed a training and support program to assist industry and education institutes to commercialise R&D. Qualifications include CPA and GAICD.
Duncan was appointed to the Board in November 2021.
- Fred gained a Toolmaking apprenticeship at the Moorabbin Institute of Technology. He undertook further studies in Design, Metrology, Metallurgy and Lean Manufacturing (Boeing Course). After his apprenticeship he spent two years working overseas for toolrooms and engineering companies, before establishing, owning, operating and then selling his own precision tooling company.
Fred stated with Axiom Precision Manufacturing (then Diemould Tooling) in 1997 as the procurement and sub-contracts manager before moving to an assistant operations manager. Transferring to the USA in 2001, he managed their Michigan facility for 18 months. The role included business development for both the US and Australian operations.
Fred has been the Aerospace and Defence Manager since 2007, with responsibility for Aerospace and Defence projects and international/domestic business development.
Fred was appointed to the board in 2017.
- Adam is the Regional Operations Manager of Eptec Group. He built his own business in 2002 and developed it into a sustainable small enterprise, which specialised in Defence work. In 2005 he joined AFL Services as the Operations Manager and set up to build the business into a holistic surface coating and corrosion maintenance business.
Far exceeding their own expectations AFL Services won the Adam has led his team through the valley of death where they diversified and surfaced with a agile infrastructure arm that has given them a positive depth to their ability.
AFL Services is now being acquired by Eptec Group, a marine defence powerhouse, and Adam feels he is now in a position to give back and be a further asset to the defence industry he has always serviced.
By being on the Board of the Defence Teaming Centre Adam hopes to enhance the defence capability of the state. His experience working in defence industry means he has the ability to support defence enterprise growth through the eyes of some one who has achieved it. Adam also brings with him the willingness to mentor and provide insight into decision which are effecting defence industry.
Adam was appointed to the Board in November 2022.
- Tim commenced his career as a member of the RAAF in 1978, serving in No 92 wing from 1981 – 1990 working on the Flight Line and in Intermediate Level maintenance. In 1990, he joined a General Aviation company at Adelaide Airport and gained his Civil Aviation Safety Authority LAME accreditation for airframes and engines. In 1997 he took up a position at Cobham Aviation Services (formerly National Jet Systems). He progressed quickly into strategic, corporate-level roles, holding various positions including Project Manager, Head of Engineering, and his current position of Business Development Manager for Defence and Security.
Tim was appointed to the Board in October 2014.
- Francesca is currently the Director of Marketing for Codan Communications and Domo Tactical Communications and has taken a lead role in shaping and driving strategic objectives and strategic marketing for Codan's recent acquisition of DTC and Zetron.
She is experienced in sourcing and segmenting geopolitical, market and industry specific data that provides leadership through data based decision making. She also specializes in strategic marketing and is responsible for leading a global marketing team. Throughout here career, Francesca has diverse experience across public and private sectors, ranging from successful start ups, corporate restructures, and mergers and acquisitions in Australia, UK and the US.
Francesca was appointed to the board in November 2021.
- Mike joined REDARC in October 2017, and as the Defence Account Manager he has been responsible for managing REDARC’s growing Defence Business. A Defence Professional, Mike was an Army officer for over 18 years and served on numerous operational tours in leadership roles. Since being medically discharged in 2013, Mike has continued his passion for supporting the war fighter by establishing a second meaningful career as a consultant in weapons engineering and then in business development and account management.
Throughout Mike’s time in Defence industry he has been passionate about bringing good ideas and people together, collaboratively to deliver capability. Mike’s technical capacity combined with his passion for taking the team on the journey to solve complex problems has resulted in a number of successful collaborations between the Australian Defence Force and industry. Since joining REDARC Mike has focused on making the business ‘Defence Ready’ and brings significant experience on what is required to achieve market entry in this sector.
Mike has previously taught in the academic sector at UniSA as a Lecturer for the Master of Project Management Program, owned and operated a small business and currently is the Surf Life Saving – South Australia Lifesaving Advisory Committee Representative responsible for the introduction of Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems to coast line. I was selected for this role, through a competitive process because of my experience and ability to solve complex problems in a collaborative manner engaging multiple stakeholders.
- Wendy is the Executive Chairman and Director of Vipac Engineers & Scientists Ltd. The Australian family owned company carries out laboratory qualification testing on a range of technologies on projects in Defence and Aerospace, such as the upgrade of the Anzac Frigates, Collins Class Submarine, The Attack Class Submarines, Joint Strike Fighter F-35A, Super Hornets, Australian FEDSAT Satellite, Huon Class Minehunter, Ocean Patrol Vessel and Protector and a range of armoured land vehicles including the Bushmaster.
As a former Member of Parliament, Wendy was Shadow Cabinet Secretary, Shadow Minister for Small Business and a former Ministerial Advisor to the Kennett Government for Major Projects and Infrastructure development, she has extensive experience in Government and Corporate Relations and Business management. She has a vast knowledge and understanding of good corporate governance and has chaired many Government Committees, reviewing much needed new legislation and consulted widely with the business sector so as to formulate sensible and working legislation which has benefited business.
Wendy was appointed to the Board in November 2021.
- An Engineering and Management career spanning some 20 years, Andrew is a proven and experienced leader with extensive experience in the delivery and support of complex projects and systems. These experiences have been gained working within both project and capability business units worldwide.
In addition, Andrew has significant board experience from statutory bodies, advisory boards and non-for-profits. His studies and qualifications include Masters degrees in Engineering, Business and Leadership, which combined with his practical work experience gives him a broad technical and business perspective.
- Sean’s career started in the RAAF in 1981 as a Radio Technician working with the P3C Orion’s. Leaving in 1990, he undertook studies at the University of South Australia in Electronic Engineering and Management/Marketing whilst working at Telstra in technical and management positions. Since that time, Sean has worked as General Manager in the start-up and SME sector with an export focus and since 2011 with GPA Engineering (consulting and design engineers) and is responsible for their development in the defence sector.
Having roles as Product Manager, Marketing Director and Chief Operating Officer, his area of expertise is in strategic marketing and engineering management.
- Travis is a solicitor at Piper Alderman, specialising in intellectual property protection and commercial litigation. Travis is also experienced in consumer law, contract and directors’ liabilities disputes. Travis advises a wide range of clients, including defence contractors, SMEs, IT companies, builders and professional services firms. Travis has acted in most Australian jurisdictions.
Travis’ qualifications include a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and Graduate Certificate of Business Administration from the University of South Australia. Travis is currently completing his Masters of Business Administration. He is also a tutor at the University of South Australia Law School where he teaches contract law.
With a passion for Defence, particularly ITAR, and the future of the defence industry in Australia, Travis looks forward to serving on the Board of Director.